Although there's no guarantee of what gender your baby will be until you find out at your 20-week scan, it can be fun to try and guess beforehand. It might be the early days of your pregnancy or you may not even plan on finding out for definite until baby is here but looking for signs you're having a boy or girl can really add to the excitement while you wait for your new arrival.
Remember, there is no scientific evidence behind these old wives' tales and only a scan will confirm your child's gender before they are born, so try not to get hung up on the results.
Signs you're having a boy
1. Morning sickness - Some believe that having less severe morning sickness is associated with carrying a boy
2. Heart rate: A fetal heart rate above 140 beats per minute is often associated with a girl, so a lower heart rate might suggest a boy.
3. Carrying low: Carrying the baby low is said to be a sign of a boy or if you're carrying higher, you may be having a girl.
4. Cravings - One pregnancy myth says that if you're craving salty or savoury foods could indicate a baby boy.
- Baby's position: If your baby's position is more to the right in the womb, this might indicate you're carrying a boy.
6. Urine colour: Darker urine is sometimes linked to carrying a boy.
7. Skin acne: An increase in pregnancy acne might signal a boy.
8. Dad's weight gain: Believe it or not, some believe that if the father gains weight during the pregnancy, it's a sign of a boy.
9. Cold feet: Feeling chilly? Cold feet during pregnancy might suggest a boy.
10. Emotional state: If you've been feeling more aggressive or irritable, this could be associated with carrying a boy.
11. Hair growth: Noticed that your locks are getting long? Faster hair growth during pregnancy might be a sign of a boy.
12. Intuition: What do you think? Sometimes a mother's intuition is a strong indicator of the baby's gender.
13. Breast size: Breast change is common in pregnancy but if your right breast is larger than your left, it could suggest a boy.
14. Sleeping position: Sleeping on your left side is said to indicate a boy while the right side indicates a girl.
15. Headaches: Experiencing more headaches during pregnancy might be a sign of a boy.
16. No Glow: People say that if you're not experiencing the "pregnancy glow," you might be carrying a boy.
17. Weight gain: It's of course expected to gain weight during pregnancy but if you're carrying weight more in front, it could be a sign of a boy.
18. Nose shape: Apparently if your nose widens during pregnancy, you might be having a boy.
19. Baby's movements: Strong, active movements from your little one might suggest a boy.
20. Cravings for protein: Craving more protein could be associated with having a boy on the way.
21. Pregnancy line: A faint or light-coloured linea nigra (the line that appears on your belly during pregnancy) might suggest a boy.
22. Chinese Gender Calendar: Try using our Chinese gender predictor tool, as certain combinations of maternal age and conception month predict a boy.
23. Ring test: Using a ring on a string over your belly, it's said that if it moves back and forward, you're having a boy.
24. Dry hands: If you've found you're in need of hand moisturiser a lot, this apparently means you could be pregnant with a boy.
Naturally, for a lot of the above, the opposite might be a sign you're having a girl instead.
Emily Gilbert is the Features & Reviews Editor for Mother&Baby and has written for the website and previously the magazine for six years. Specialising in product reviews, Emily is the first to know about all the exciting new releases in the parenting industry.