Mumma-to-be rejoice, maternity cycling shorts are here to bring you comfort and style. Cycling shorts have been an athleisure must-have in the last few years, with influencers and celebs alike wearing them in variety of colours. They've become an essential basic for anyone's wardrobe, and now maternity pairs are available too.
Combining the breathability of shorter shorts and the flexibility of maternity leggings, maternity cycling shorts are ideal for an easy-going look. They're the stylish pick that you can combine with other gym clothes for a workout or just pop to the shops in. They're simple to throw on (even with bump in the way) with a jumper or oversized T-shirt, plus they'll make you feel bang on trend. Even better? You can even wear them under skirts and dresses during the Summer to beat annoying chub rub.
It's rare that a fashion trend is wearable for every type of pregnant body and beyond comfortable, but maternity cycling shorts have all those bases covered. They're just the kind of clothing item that you don't have to think too hard about when styling.
• Best maternity cycling shorts overall: Be Mammy Womans Short Maternity Leggings Tights - Buy now on Amazon
• Best maternity cycling shorts multipack: George Maternity Cycling Shorts 2 Pack - Buy now on asda.com
• Best maternity cycling shorts for exercise: Mamalicious Tia Jeanne Maternity Shorts - Buy now on johnlewis.com
• Best plus size maternity cycling shorts: BUMP IT UP MATERNITY Cycling Shorts - Buy now on yoursclothing.co.uk
Whether cycling shorts were a go-to for you pre-pregnancy or you want in on the trend now, we've put together a full list of our favourite maternity cycling shorts, perfect for you and bump, down below. We've considered colour and size range, prices, materials, and style in all our choices, so you can make a choice that works for you.
Best maternity cycling shorts of 2023
Best maternity cycling shorts overall:
Designed with a comfortable high and elasticated waist, these super soft Be Mammy cycling shorts
- Great size range
- Soft and stretchy
- High waisted fit
- Some colours aren't as opaque as others
The George Maternity Cycling Shorts are made from soft jersey fabric, plus they were designed with
- Value multipack
- Tumble dryer friendly
- Two colours in one pack
- Tighter fitting than others
3. Natal Active MATERNITY CYCLING SHORTS
Best maternity cycling shorts for flexibility
One word - pockets! Yes, the Natal Active maternity cycling shorts have pockets on both sides,
- Can be worn high or low waisted
- Soft, wicking fabric
- Pockets on both sides
- One reviewer said it wasn't the best for low sitting bumps
Machine washable and thigh length, these sleek New Look black jersey maternity cycling shorts are
- Stretchy over bump waist
- Super soft
- Only one colour available
We love that these cool and casual cycling shorts are made from sustainable, recycled materials.
- Machine washable at 30°C
- Sustainably made
- Grows with your bump
- Limited size range and no reviews
With a lovely lace trim on the legs, the BUMP IT UP maternity cycling shorts will fit your bump
- Elasticated waist comfort panel
- Machine washable
- No reviews yet
7. Lindex MOM Seamless biker briefs
Best seamless maternity cycling shorts
Another comfy options to go under other garments, the Lindex MOM seamless biker briefs are
- A wider waist
- Great size range
- Soft feel
- No reviews
Made for any type of workout or exercise, the Nike One maternity biker shorts feel like a second
- Adapts to your bump throughout pregnancy
- Fun colour options
- Smooth feeling and fit
- One reviewer said they may be a little small
What to consider when buying maternity cycling shorts
Size - Fit is always important, but especially with maternity clothes. A quality maternity garment should be designed to match your original size but also accommodate to bump. You can always measure yourself to double check your size.
Colour - If you're wearing your cycling shorts under a dress or skirt, you may want to pick out a more neutral colour, but if you're wearing them on their own, select whatever colour that takes your fancy.
Style - How do you want to wear your maternity cycling shorts? They're a really versatile piece of clothing, so have a think about what you can pair your shorts with to get the look you want to achieve,
Budget - As with all of your maternity buys, stick to a set budget. You'll thank yourself for that later. There are some fabulous budget buys above, so you don't have to compromise quality for a lower price tag.
Is it okay to wear cycling shorts while pregnant?
In short, yes. Tighter fitting clothes can seem a little intimidating if you're pregnant, but maternity cycling shorts were designed to keep you supported and comfortable. Just make sure they're the right size for you and not majorly restrictive around your bump and there shouldn't be any issues with wearing them. They're such a wardrobe staple these days, so give them a go and we're sure you won't regret it.
How can you style maternity cycling shorts?
This will be down to your personal sense of style and lifestyle, but cycling shorts are so versatile, you can do a lot with them style-wise. Here are just a few ways you can wear your favourite maternity cycling shorts:
• Paired with an oversized T-shirt and trainers.
• With a cosy sweater or jumper during Winter.
• Worn as a workout set with a sports bra and/or crop top.
• Styled with top and hoodie for casual vibe.
• Underneath a skirt or dress to prevent any chafing.
• With a cute top and cross-body bag for a festival look.
Eve Miller is a Commercial Content Writer for Mother&Baby, working for Bauer Media for over two years. She is passionate about beauty, creative writing, and women’s healthcare.