When your baby is not so little anymore and have maybe outgrown their safe and comfortable bedding sets that are suitable for babies, it might be time to start looking for the best toddler duvet set.
There are so many things to think about when choosing the right toddler duvet too. From knowing which tog to buy in winter or summer, the size of the duvet that you will need, to the type of bedding set cover your toddler might want. It can be hard to know exactly which type to choose for your tot.
But not only do you have to think about what will be the right duvet for your toddler, you also have to think about the best pillow for your toddler, too, to match their new, big-kid bedding set.
The best duvets for toddlers shortlist 2023
• Best toddler duvet overall: Silentnight Safe Nights Anti-Allergy Cot Bed Nursery Duvet
• Best luxury toddler duvet: The White Company Hypo-Allergenic Soft and Breathable Duvet
• Best easy-to-wash toddler duvet: John Lewis ANYDAY Toddler Duvet and Pillow
With many different duvets on the market, we've rounded up the best to use for your toddler, including ones that are easy to wash and dry, that are hypoallergenic and ones that can be used through all seasons.
The best toddler duvets 2023
1. Silentnight Safe Nights Anti-Allergy Cot Bed Nursery Duvet
Best toddler duvet overall
Award: Won bronze in our 2018 Mother&Baby awards
With the British Allergy Foundation Seal
- Machine washable
- Some would prefer a thicker tog
2. Silentnight Safe Nights Cot Bed Duvet 4 Tog
Best anti-allergy toddler duvet
The Safe Nights Cot Bed Duvet by Silentnight is soft and breathable, designed specifically with
- Anti-allergy treated
- Suitable from 12 months+
- Have to shop around for other tog sizes
3. The White Company Hypoallergenic Soft + Light Breathable Duvet - 4.5 Tog
Best luxury toddler duvet
This super lightweight duvet is still nice and warm, making it a great duvet for your tot to use
- Has a luxury softness
- 200 thread count cotton
4. <br>John Lewis ANYDAY Toddler Duvet and Pillow
Best easy-to-wash toddler duvet
ANYDAY by John Lewis is a perfect basic but high-quality brand. This is the ideal first duvet for
- Easy to wash
- Available in two sizes
- Pillows are not comfy for some
5. Fogarty Little Sleepers All Seasons Wool Cot Bed Duvet and Pillow Set
Best lightweight toddler duvet
This duvet is ideal if your home is well-insulated and your little one tends to get quite hot in
- Temperature regulated
- 100% natural wool finish with cotton cover
- Not suitable for dry cleaning
Best toddler duvet with soft touch fibre
The EDS Anti-Allergy Duvet set is made from lightweight and breathable fabric, soft to the touch
- Different choices of tog thickness
- Comes with pillow
- Pillow too flat for some
Best cosy toddler duvet
Keep your baby extra warm and cosy with this thicker duvet. Ideal for cold winter months, this
- Polycotton casing
- Warm and cosy
- Thick but not heavy
- May be too thick for warmer months
Best natural toddler duvet
This Panda Kids duvet is made from bamboo, so is naturally antibacterial and resists mould, fungi,
- Temperature control
- Incredibly soft
- Bamboo cover
- More expensive than others
Best toddler duvet for the colder months
Ideal if your home is older and on the chillier side, this junior cot or bed-sized duvet is on the
- Soft and cosy
- Anti dust mite and non-allergenic
- May be heavier than others
Toddler Duvet: All you need to know
Things to consider before buying the best duvets for toddlers
There are a couple of important safety aspects that shouldn't be ignored when it comes to choosing a duvet.
• Infants under 12 months of age shouldn't use a duvet, cot quilt, or pillow as this could result in suffocation.
• It's important to make sure you're choosing the right size duvet – if your baby is still in their cot, you'll want to make sure they have a cot bed duvet rather than a single-sized duvet, as this could cause them to overheat.
Choose a lightweight option
Anyone who co-sleeps with their toddler knows just how much they like to wriggle and starfish in bed. They can often get quite hot and sweaty at night, too. This is because toddlers can't regulate their body temperature as well as we can. That's why for their first-ever duvet, you'll want to choose a lighter-weight option when looking for a duvet and toddler bedding sets.
It's also worth noting that if you live in a newer build house or your home always feels quite toasty, you might be just fine with a 4.5 tog year-round plus an extra blanket for those colder nights. You'll also want to make sure you're dressing your little one for the temperature at night too!
Make sure it's washable
We've lost count of the number of times we've had to wash our tot's duvet in the middle of the night because they had an accident or have been sick in their bed. That's why it's very important to get a duvet that washes well and dries quickly either in the tumble drier or outside on the line.
Look out for natural materials
When it comes to night-time, it's best to go for a duvet in a natural material like cotton. The fillings are usually made from synthetic fibres or natural ones such as feather and down. You should look for an anti-allergy duvet if your child suffers from asthma or gets sniffly at night.
At what age can toddlers use a duvet?
The NHS recommends that infants under 12 months should not have a pillow or duvet. However, when your tot reaches 12 months, make sure you use the right size duvet for toddler beds. This is to avoid the risk of overheating.
If you're transitioning your toddler to their own bigger bed, ensure you are still using the right size duvet.
What tog should a toddler duvet be?
Duvet Advisor recommends that it's best to go for a 4.5 tog duvet for the summer. However, in the winter, a 7/ 7.5 tog duvet in the winter to helps keep your toddler comfortable.
What size is a toddler duvet?
The most common and universal size for a toddler duvet is 120 x 150cm.
Lorna White has been a Digital Writer for Mother&Baby since 2020. She has a keen interest in a range of topics, from potty training and nutrition to baby names and maternity fashion.