This is one of the easiest recipes to make in the book making it great for baking with little ones. There’s barely any mixing involved, you pretty much throw everything in the tin and bake it – just like magic. So if you fancy something low-effort, this is for you. These bars have a buttery chocolate chip cookie base, a sweet and gooey middle, are packed with condensed milk and chocolate chips and topped with crunchy chocolate chip cookies. If you love chewy textures and caramelised flavours, go for an edge or a corner piece!
Makes 16 | Time: 45 minutes plus cooling time
250g (9oz) crunchy chocolate chip cookies + 16 broken into quarters for the topping
90g (6 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
1 x 397g (14oz) can condensed milk
250g (generous 1 cup) milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan)/350°F/Gas mark 4 and line a 20cm (8in) square baking tin with nonstick baking paper.
- Put the whole cookies into a food processor and process until finely crushed. Alternatively, put them into a plastic bag and crush finely with a rolling pin. Tip into a medium bowl, then pour in the melted butter and mix together with a spoon until fully combined.
- Scoop the mixture into your prepared tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon. Pour over the condensed milk, then sprinkle over the chocolate chips and remaining broken cookies and press down with the back of a fork.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes until the edges are crisp. Leave to cool completely in the tin, then cut into 16 squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Extracted from Fitwaffle's Baked In One by Eloise Head (Ebury Press, £22) Photography by Faith Mason