Are you vegan, gluten-free or dairy-free? Don't feel you have to miss out on pancakes - there are plenty of alternative recipes to get your fill of the delicious treats!
If you've got special dietary needs, that doesn't mean you have to miss out on the fun of pancakes!
No matter whether your dietary requirements are through lifestyle choice or for health reasons, you can still tuck into some mouth-watering golden pancakes this Shrove Tuesday.
We've got you covered whether you're gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free or vegan - and if you need to mix and match between the recipes, it should be pretty straightforward.
1. Dairy-free pancake recipe Makes 8 Ingredients: 125g plain flour 1 egg 300ml coconut milk 1 tablespoon of oil
- Put the flour in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Crack the egg in the middle and pour in a quarter of the milk. Use an electric or balloon whisk to thoroughly combine the mixture.
- Once you have a paste, mix in another quarter and once lump-free, mix in the remaining milk. Leave to rest for 20 mins. Stir again before using.
- Heat a small, non-stick frying pan with a splash of oil. When hot, pour a small amount of the mixture into the pan and swirl around to coat the base – you want a thin layer. Cook for a few mins until golden brown on the bottom, then turn over and cook until golden on the other side. Repeat until you have used all the mixture, stirring the mixture in between pancakes and adding more oil for frying as necessary. Pile the pancakes up between sheets of baking parchment or cook to order. Serve with the pancake filling of choice!
Recipe by BBC Good Food
2. Gluten-free pancake recipe Makes 6 Ingredients: 200g plain gluten free flour - we recommend Doves Farm 2 eggs 500ml milk 1 tablespoon oil
- Put the flour, egg and half the milk into a large bowl or jug. Beat to a smooth paste then stir in the remaining milk to make a thin batter.
- Refrigerate the batter for up to 12 hours – otherwise it's ready to go. Lightly oil a frying pan so that the oil just covers the surface and get the pan nice and hot. Stir the batter then spoon or pour some into the hot pan, rolling it out to the edges.
- Cook the pancake, loosening the edges, until the base is golden. Turn it over and cook the other side. Repeat until the batter is used. Serve with sweet or savoury fillings of your choice.
Recipe by Doves Farm.
3. Vegan pancake recipe Makes 9 Ingredients: 150g plain flour 2 tablespoons caster sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 300ml water 1 tablespoon oil
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Whisk the water and oil together in a small bowl. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet.
- Stir just until blended; mixture will be lumpy. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto the griddle, and cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry.
- Flip, and cook until browned on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
Recipe by All Recipes.
4. Egg-free pancake recipe Makes 12 Ingredients: 250g plain flour 2 teaspoons sugar 4 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 475ml milk 2 tablespoons water 3 tablespoons oil 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Heat a griddle or pan on the stove top. The griddle is ready for pancakes when water dropped on the hot griddle rolls and sizzles.
- Mix all the dry ingredients. Add the milk, water, oil, and vanilla. Mix well, but don't over stir; a few lumps are okay.
- Drop 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Flip the pancake when bubbles form and begin to pop. Keep the heat medium to medium low; they burn fast.
Recipe by Genius Kitchen.